2020 Prayer of Release

 

Father of all, 

God above pandemics,

Cancelled plans, 

Illness, loss, and trauma-

Nothing surprises you, the way it surprises me.

You are not shocked. You do not falter. 

I pray for more of this character.

I release my frail expectations of what is "good."

I release my feeble attempts to control. 

I surrender the lie that I know best for those I love. 

I release the burden of needing other people's approval-

or wishing they would accept MY love and help.

Goodbye to thinking more is better, 

hello to a new love for the simple things:

You have taught me to love sunset bike rides, 

movie nights at home, watching things grow, 

the joy of the dogs when I come home, 

the laughs of those closest to me,

a fresh-cooked meal or home-grown produce,

delighting in the place we call home. 



Goodbye to thinking I am what I accomplish,

to comparing myself to others-

Hello to being someone I am proud of,

basking in the amazing love I have been gifted, 

finding contentment in my process. 

To You, my Rescuer and Refuge-

I lift my hands. I lift my life. 

I do not demand to You what should become of it,

I give it all to You, 

Maker of Beautiful things. 

Redeemer of "weird" years. 

Constant of all constants.

Comments

Popular Posts