Born of the Spirit in the every day.

Nicodemus, a Pharisee, came to Jesus in the night claiming to believe that Jesus was indeed from God. To this, Jesus replied that no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again (John 3:3). This new birth is not a going back into our mother's wombs, but a being born of the Spirit. In my time with God yesterday I reflected on this passage and the words were flowing, so I figured I would share them!

"Born of the Spirit"

Life now depends, exists upon, and flows from the Spirit. Everything is rooted in this origin of being, the fact that we have been given a new life in God. When a person is first born, there is an undeniable neediness, a dependence on other than self. So it is with being born of the Spirit. We are to stay in a perpetual awareness of our beginning, our cause. Though we gain confidence and learn to "walk on our own," we are to remain sensitive to our status as followers and dependents of God- his children, desperate for his touch and guidance that we can never outgrow. 

This new life is a paradox. The more we lean on God, the more tangible our need for him in every moment becomes, and the stronger and more mature we become. Those who seek independence and want to stand alone (and think they are succeeding) are self-deceived and will falter when struggle comes. This is why David cries out, "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I."  (Psalm 61:2). EVERY. single THING. that is good in us is built on the foundation of God. If I trade such a foundation for a foundation of self, I am building a house upon sand, a house perishable and ill-equipped for the evils of this world. 

Maturing in God is indeed a curious thing. I find myself living a Christian life out of habit sometimes more than concerted devotion. I do and say right because I know to do so, not always because I am connected and overflowing from my proximity and awareness of the movement of God. Christian auto-pilot is all too real in this life of mine! I must constantly declare with John the Baptist, "He must increase; I must decrease" (John 3:30). I ask that God would show me my "auto-pilot" moments (or days or weeks) where I forget how badly I need him. Every day is a new day for me to realize and remember the source of my life and breath: the living Spirit of God. I have been reborn to a new life, one where Jesus is KING- not self. I open myself up to the work of God in the mundane, in the places I overlook, and I invite him to teach me how to yield and surrender my ways to His. 

I need Thee, every hour, O gracious Lord. 

Comments

  1. Patricia, Glad to see another article of your ravished heart. Your writing ability to put pen and paper to express your inner emotions is exceptional and beyond your age. Praying God will keep you strong, safe and happy in all your endeavors and Christian pathway! Love, GMP

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts